5 reasons why you need to Upskill in 201928 March, 2019
By Abhijeet Kumar
The competition in any industry is ferocious. A job opening on an average attracts 250 resumes, states a study by Glassdoor, and only one of which would be selected. So, more relevant skills you have, the better are your chances of job retention or getting hired. References, certificates and your charisma can get you a job but to get things done, you need the ability and skills. So, by updating your expertise, you ensure that you stay relevant to the job you do. Moreover, having skills that are in demand also makes you more appealing in case you’re looking for a change.
“Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow.” – Anthony J. D’Angelo
Although employers offer on-the-job training, workshops, and seminars, you too should be vigilant about the developments in the industry and sharpen your skills. So, bringing you 5 reasons why you might like to upskill –
1. Be relevant to your current employerThe world is changing with each passing moment, and so is the work environment. Companies want to incorporate new changes and keep themselves updated with the trends. And you also need to. Keeping yourself ahead with new technologies and adapting to changing scenarios keeps you from being redundant.
2. Make yourself more valuableThe talent shortage is prevalent in the current job market. As per a survey by Manpower Group, 72.8% of employers are finding it difficult to get candidates with all the required talents. So, finding new ways to sharpen yourself and upskilling sounds just about right.
With upskilling comes the ability to solve problems better and also, being a (near) all-rounder. You can thus, be helpful in a number of different ways.
Suggested Read: 10 Top Most in-demand skills you should have in 2019
3. Be future proofJobs are unpredictable, and no role or industry is 100% secure. Mastering other relevant skills can help you have a better resume and a better chance of getting a new job. Having diversified skills connected to your role will also help you in making more money.
“Nothing is as important as passion. No matter what you want to do with your life, be passionate.” – Jon Bon Jovi
4. Find a new passionWhen you upskill, you make yourself open to new opportunities. You can learn many new skills from the comfort of your home and might even find something new to spend your time on. Finding a new passion, giving a new direction to your career or making a complete career change; upskilling makes them all easy.
Sometimes you just don’t realize that you like to do something until you go for it.
5. Get to network and growWhile you find ways to upskill, attending seminars and workshops, you find many other people who have experienced what you’re going to. By networking and keeping in touch with them, you will be able to learn new things and also, polish your soft skills. You can find mentors or even other learners who will inspire you.
And broader your network, better the chances you have at jobs, to learn and earn more. Learning and adapting to new technologies is the key to success.
So, don’t wait! Don’t wait for the right time to upskill. Learn a new tool or explore a new language, attend live events or start volunteering; all provide you with opportunities to learn. Or is it a new course that you want to learn?
Start right away! The Internet is at your disposal. You can even have education loans approved without leaving the comfort of your home. Monexo is an online platform that provides quick personal loans for education in India.
Quick processing, competitive interest rates and flexible EMI options offered by Monexo, help to make learning a stress-free affair. Wishing you success!