A career in Hotel Management28 September, 2019
Hotel management is a cardinal part of the hospitality industry and has wide employment opportunities. This field plays the most vital role in the travel and tourism sector. Whenever we plan for a vacation, where to stay is the primary factor that we keep in mind. It includes a luxurious stay, a pleasant room with cozy mattresses, a pool in the hotel, beautiful view, amazing food, and top-notch service. Hotel management is all about ensuring that you have a comfortable stay.
Managing a hotel involves a lot of responsibilities and hence need qualified people who can take these responsibilities. Hotel Management field offers many exciting job opportunities, personal and professional growth. This blog will tell you exactly how you can give a great start to your career in Hotel Management.
You can take up a degree course in hotel management, soon after your HSC. The selection criteria for a UG course in hotel management is 50% marks in HSC. However, candidates who do not have 50% marks in their HSC can do a certificate or diploma course in hotel management which is being offered by various institutes. Many hotels also provide training come placements.
What will you learn?
The courses teach you everything from the front desk to housekeeping. You will be trained for all kinds of jobs which are required to run a Hotel. You’ll get to know about all the operations that facilitate the outside and on the inside of the hotel. You will learn about the four major departments - Front office, Food production, Housekeeping, and Food & Beverage Services. The various areas that they will train you for are as follows
- Hospitality etiquettes
- Event management
- Hotel Law
- Employee & Public Relations
- Food & production services
- Hotel housekeeping
- Front office procedures
- Hospitality property management
- Menu planning and design
- Business Law
You can pursue a career in Hotel Management in three ways – Diploma, Certificate, and Degree. The degree course is a 3-year course. The diploma courses are of two years and the certificate course can be as short as six months. You have to pursue a related course from a reputed college in order to have a great career in this field. Popular UG courses to pursue a career in hotel management include:
- Bachelor of Hotel Management (BHM).
- BSc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration.
- BBA in Hospitality, travel & tourism.
- Bachelor in Hotel Management and Catering Technology (BHMCT).
- BA in Hotel Management.
The popular PG courses to pursue a career in hotel management include:
- Master of Hotel Management (MHM).
- Master in Tourism and Hotel Management (MTHM).
- MSc Tourism and Hospitality Management.
- MBA in Hospitality Management.
- MBA in Hotel Management.
The duration of the diploma courses may vary. It can be a one, two or three-year diploma course. These include:
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Diploma in Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Housekeeping
- Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology
Below is the list of some of the top institutes in Chennai from where you can take up the hotel management course
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition.
- SRM Institute of Hotel Management
- All India Institute of Management Studies
- Chennais Amrita International Institute of Hotel Management
- Madras Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology
- University of Madras
You can find many exciting job opportunities after graduating with a Hotel Management degree. You can apply for different roles like front desk manager, hotel manager, food and beverage manager, housekeeping manager, banquet manager, floor supervisor, etc.
Some popular hotel chains which hire hospitality/hotel management graduates are:
- Hyatt Hotels
- Marriott International, Inc.
- Accord Metropolitan
- The Leela Palaces, Hotels & Resorts
- Hilton Worldwide
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts Group
- Oberoi Group of Hotels
- ITC Group of Hotels
- The Taj Group of Hotels
You can also find jobs in many other different industries like –
- Airline Catering
- Cruise ship hotel management
- Hospital administration and catering
- Club Management
- Forest Lodges
- Hotel and Tourism Association
- Hospitality services in various MNCs
- Kitchen management ( managing kitchen and catering food in factories, schools, offices, colleges, etc )
- Self-employment as an entrepreneur
The salary package may differ depending upon the institute the candidate passed out from, skills and work experience. The candidates who come from top institutes such as IHM receive a starting salary of Rs 25,000 or more. Candidates with diploma or certification programs can get salaries starting from Rs 10,000 to Rs 15,000. Large hotel chains offer many exciting remunerations to their employees.
Want to pursue a career in Hotel Management? Monexo offers education loans up to Rs. 5,00,000. Click here to register yourself for an Educational Loan https://www.monexo.co/in/campaigns/education-loan