Would you like to take up nursing as a career?17 September, 2019
By Aishwarya Raj
Are you a person who loves to make a difference in people’s lives, then, why not make a career out of it? The nursing profession can offer a meaningful career, filled with many opportunities, and rewards. Being in this job, your role is to improve the well being of people. Want to pursue a career in Nursing in Chennai? Read on to get more ideas.
1. High Demand and Flexible Job
In Chennai, due to the growing population, the medical and health sector is experiencing promising growth. You can work anywhere and anytime. You can also take up your work either part-time or full time or even as a temporary one. You can do all of them. You can find work fast when you want and can also take time off for work. You can work four days in a row and have three days off or can be full time employed, too.
Being a nurse, you can find work wherever you like. Typically in Chennai, it may be in a hospital, suburbs or in a rural area. If you are a freelance consulting nurse, then you can travel to work for a few days or months.
2. Diverse Opportunities
Nowadays, Hospitals are not the only place where nurses are required. They work outside of the traditional hospital setting, and also providing quality care to others at Corporate Clinics, Nursing Care Facilities, and Urgent Care Clinics, etc
3. Courses & Duration
If you are looking for a nursing career in Chennai, then, different domains like UG degree courses, PG degree courses, Diploma courses, Doctoral, Philosophy and courses are available. Certificate courses for the duration of 6 months to 1 year are also available.
The courses are as follows:
- B. Sc – Basic (Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Basic) – 4 yrs
- B. Sc – Post Basic (Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Post Basic) – 2 yrs
- B. Sc – Distance (Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Distance) – 3 yrs
The course fee for these three categories is around Rs. 75,000 to Rs. 1,45,000.
The top 5 colleges to pursue B.Sc Nursing in Chennai are :
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education & Research
- Saveetha Medical College
- Dr. M G R Medical and Research Institute
- Apollo College of Nursing
- Madras Medical College, College of Nursing
- M. Sc (Master of Science in Nursing) – 2 yrs
The course fee for this category is around Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 2,00,000.
The top colleges to pursue M. Sc Nursing in Chennai are :
- Madras Medical College, College of Nursing
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology
- ANM (Auxiliary Nursing & Midwife) – 18 months
- GNM (General Nursing & Midwife) – 3.5 yrs
The course fee for these two categories is around Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 2,45,000.
The top colleges to pursue a Diploma in Nursing in Chennai are :
- M. Phil (Master of Science in Nursing) – 1 yr (Full time)
- M. Phil (Master of Science in Nursing) – 2 yr (part-time)
- Ph.D. (Doctor in Philosophy) – 3 to 5 yrs
The course fee for these three categories is around Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 3,00,000.
The top colleges to pursue a Doctoral in Nursing in Chennai are :
In Chennai, the diploma course is for a duration of 1.5 years. To get into this course, the candidate must have passed 10th class with 45% and the age must be between 17 – 35 years. There is an entrance test to be given for this course which is conducted by the nursing entrance board.
The GNM (General Nursing & Midwifery) is the vantage level diploma in nursing with a duration of 3.5 years. To get into this course, the candidate must have passed 12th class passed with 45% and the age must be between 17 – 35 years. There is an entrance test to be given for this course conducted by the nursing entrance board.
B.Sc nursing is the common, popular and required a degree for the full-time nurse. The two levels are, basic and post-basic which are for the duration of 4 yrs and 2 yrs. For admission in this bachelor course, the candidates must have passed 12th grade with science subjects having 45% marks as the minimum. An entrance test must be given.
6. Job Profiles
Nurses work as part of a team of medical and professional staff that includes doctors, therapists, and social workers. After completing their respective course and getting employed, they can put into different roles as follows :
- Staff Nurse
- Assistant Nursing Superintendent
- Deputy Nursing Superintendent
- Department Supervisor
- Director of Nursing
- Nursing Supervisor or Ward Sister
- Nursing Superintendent
- Community Health Nurse (CHN)
- Teacher of Nursing
- Military Nurse
- Nursing Service Administrators
- Nursing Service Overseas
- Industrial Nurse
Apply for an Education Loan
Are you considering to take up Nursing as a Career? Monexo offers education loans up to Rs. 5,00,000. Click here to register yourself for an Educational Loan https://www.monexo.co/in/campaigns/education-loan